Ashgabat To Bishkek
All content by Intrepid
Follow the central Silk Road through Turkmenistan’s harshly beautiful deserts, Uzbekistan’s soaring mountain ranges and Kyrgyzstan’s sublime lakes. Travel to a land once home to brutal yet sophisticated khans and sultans, as well as the furthest reaches of the USSR. Offering the bold traveller a startling vision of Central Asian culture, from the futuristic Ashgabat to the relaxed charm of Bishkek, the central Silk Road journey is an enlightening experience full of memories to last a lifetime.
- Visit the wilds of Chong Kemin National Park.
- Be amazed by the ferocity of Darvaza Gas Crater.
- Walk the lively streets of Ashgabat.
- Uncover Soviet memorabilia in Chorsu Bazaar.
- Practise your echoes in the canyons of Djety Oguz.
Day 1 Ashgabat
Start your Samarkand and Tamerlane’s Testament adventure among the futuristic architecture of Ashgabat. Spy the world's largest hand-woven rug or learn about the city's traumatic history at the Earthquake Museum.
Day 2 Darvaza
Sleep under the stars in the Karakum Desert. See the spectacular fires of the Darvaza Gas Crater.
Day 3 Bush Camp
Continue the Overland journey through the Karakum Desert, and take in the parched landscape of Asia's hottest desert.
Days 4-5 Khiva
Gaze up at the ancient walls surrounding Khiva and imagine how they once provided sanctuary for weary Silk Road travellers. Explore the historic and perfectly preserved Old Town, beautifully decorated in classic turquoise tiles.
Days 6-8 Bukhara
Get to know Central Asia's holiest city, where the combination of buildings spanning a thousand years and a thoroughly lived-in Old Town help create the awe-inspiring atmosphere.
Day 9 Nurata
Spend a night in a yurt camp with the local nomads, sleeping among the dunes of the Kyzylkhum Desert.
Days 10-12 Samarkand
Travel to one of Central Asia's most magical cities, Uzbekistan’s Samarkand. Discover the romance of the Silk Road in this perfectly preserved city full of exotic architecture and majestic buildings.
Days 13-15 Tashkent
Visit Tashkent’s thriving Chorsu Bazaar to pick up Soviet-style souvenirs and admire the ornately decorated Kukeldash Medressa.
Day 16 Kokand/Fergana City
Enter the Fergana Valley and see the palace of the former Khan of Kokand.
Day 17 Arslanbob
Make tracks across the Fergana Valley into Kyrgyzstan.
Days 18-20 Kyrgyz Fergana Valley
Take a leisurely three day journey through the stunning mountains and national parks of Kyrgyzstan's Fergana Valley.
Days 21-22 Song-Kol Lake
Spend the night in a yurt near Song-Kol Lake and join in a game of ulak-tartysh.
Day 23 Kochkor
Mingle with friendly locals and relish Kyrgyz hospitality while enjoying a homestay in Kochkor.
Days 24-25 Djety Oguz Valley
Admire the lofty sandstone cliffs in Djety Oguz Valley.
Day 26 Karakol
Discover the remote, picturesque town of Karakol, complete with quaint tree-lined streets and colonial houses.
Days 27-28 Chong Kemin National Park
Set off on a leisurely hike along Chong Kemin River - or if feeling adventurous, perhaps tackle one of the tough 4000 m passes.
Days 29-30 Bishkek
Relax on the final days in Bishek. Why not stroll through the city's markets and haggle for bargains. Alternatively, relaxing in an Oak Park cafe and reflecting on the adventure is another good option!
Maximum of 19 travellers per group
Bush camp (no facilities), Homestay, Hotel, Yurt
1. This trip visits multiple countries for which visas can be difficult and time consuming to obtain. Please ensure that you have enough time to apply for all visas you require before booking this trip.2. Some destinations visited on this trip do not have consulates in Australia and New Zealand. We recommend that travellers from these countries book the WESTBOUND itinerary of this trip where some visas can be obtained en route.3. Please note that this trip requires minimum numbers to depart, and may be cancelled up until 56 days prior to departure. The places showing on the dates and availability page are an indication only so please contact Intrepid to check if your preferred date will depart before making any final arrangements, such as booking non-changeable flights.4. Combination trip. Please see Trip Notes (Important Notes) for more details.