Museo Marítimo & Museo del Presidio
Lonely Planet review for Museo Marítimo & Museo del Presidio
When convicts were moved from Isla de los Estados (Staten Island) to Ushuaia in 1906, they began building the national prison, which was finished in 1920. The spokelike halls of single cells were designed to house 380, but in the prison’s most active period held up to 800. It closed as a jail in 1947 and now houses the Museo Marítimo & Museo del Presidio. It’s a fine port of call on a blustery day. Halls showing penal life are intriguing, but the informative plaques are only in Spanish. Two of the more illustrious inmates were author Ricardo Rojasand and Russian anarchist Simón Radowitzky.