Plaza San Martín & Around
Lonely Planet review
Córdoba’s lovely and lively central plaza dates from 1577. Its western side is dominated by the white arcade of the restored Cabildo (colonial town-council building), completed in 1785 and containing three interior patios, as well as basement cells. All are open to the public as part of the Museo de la Ciudad , a block to the south.
Occupying nearly half a city block, the Iglesia de Santa Teresa y Convento de Carmelitas Descalzas de San José was completed in 1628 and has functioned ever since as a closed-order convent for Carmelite nuns. Only the church itself is open to visitors. Once part of the convent, the Museo de Arte Religioso Juan de Tejeda , next door, exhibits religious artifacts as well as paintings by cordobés masters, but was closed for renovations at time of research.