Building sights in Algeria
- Sort by:
The Ville Nouvelle is not new and nor is it French. Early on, the Ottoman-backed rulers of Algiers and their powerful courtiers were building themselves summer houses and pleasure pavilions up on the heights of the broad crescent of hill that backs the bay of Algiers. Although the entire hillside and much beyond has now been developed to accommodate a growing population, some of the old villas remain, a few of them converted into museums and other public spaces.
Tlemcen revolves around these twin squares, divided by rue de l'Independence. On the south side is the old colonial-era Town Hall (1843), opposite is the Grand Mosque.