Basilica St Augustine
Basilica St Augustine information
Towering above the ruins, Hippo Regius, on its own small hill, the colonial-era Basilica St Augustine was intended as a sign of France’s revival of past glory. The first stone was laid in 1881, the basilica completed in 1900. Beneath the soaring nave and huge arches, surrounded by Carrara marble, Grenoble stained glass and local onyx, lies a statue of St Augustine, its right arm containing one of the saint’s arm bones.